PARDON THE MESS: Beginning in June of 2019, I’ll be sharing some of the longer-form content below in parallel on Medium. For those venturing here from there or following links from other social media, I’m going to begin differentiating between the short takes and the deeper dives—including, in many cases, re-titling and repackaging some of the early stuff. That will hopefully make browsing easier. Enjoy!

Thursday, September 6, 2018

My Continuing Quest for the Ideal Immersive Low-Cost Halloween Display


Every year as the days grow shorter and the leaves turn, I begin an inner tug-of-war between the artistic and frugal sides of my personality.

For more than a decade of my marriage, my family and I lived on a lonely street with little traffic. It was a two-lane road in principle only and the porch was separated from the street by just a handful of feet--meaning that passersby would rarely have more than a moment to view any seasonal decorations as they squeezed past oncoming cars. As a result, we didn't spend much time on outdoor decor.

More than for my spouse, this was a big struggle for me. When I was growing up, my parents took advantage of any reason to decorate. Our Halloween preparations were particularly elaborate. My dad went to the trouble of creating a six-foot tall Frankenstein monster out of plywood, newspaper stuffing, an old greenish brown suit coat and a plastic mask. He also wired the outside of the house for sound--piping spooky sounds and music out onto the lawn. We'd hand out candy in costume.

So when I moved my wife and kids into a new home a few years ago--one at an intersection visible from two different streets--I told myself that I'd make our holiday displays the most memorable on the block. However, as so often happens in life, I soon found that the pressures of work and chores didn't allow as much time as I'd have assumed.

Now I could just buy a bunch of stuff at a home improvement store, but I didn't want to buy something--I wanted to make something. And I have done so, on a small scale, as circumstances have allowed. A couple of years ago, I followed a tip I found online and made carnivorous plants out of plastic pumpkins. The stems were tree branches--yard waste--and the pumpkins and paint cost me maybe $20-30. I positioned them around our front door and along our retaining wall--leering into the street. Last year, I created some big disembodied eyes and stuck them in our trees and shrubbery. I wasn't as thrilled with this outcome--as there was more mess than with the pumpkins and I didn't like the aesthetic as much. (All-in cost was comparable.) In both cases, I saw these as nothing more than experiments, proofs of concept related to pieces that could one day be used as part of a larger display. So now I'm interested in putting together something more eye-popping. (Sorry--couldn't help myself.)

But what to make? I don't want to spend a fortune, though I'm willing to spend several multiples of what I spent in those prior years. And I want it to be unique.

There is another house not far from mine where the owners decorate their lawns with wooden cut-outs of Peanuts characters, and I've thought about doing something similar with different characters. But again, that wouldn't really be unique--just a different take on someone's existing display.

While my perfect display would probably be to buy a burned out van, paint it to look like the Mystery Machine, and park it on the edge of the driveway*, here are some (somewhat) more feasible ideas I've considered:
  • Create a sea of hands sticking out of the ground across my lawn--perhaps with eyes in the palms
  • Use flexible corrugated tubing to create a huge snake or octopus
  • Use garbage cans, corrugated tubing, plywood, and silver spray paint to create human-sized robot alien invaders
  • Stuff garbage bags with newspaper filler, cinch them near the top, and wrap them in gauze to look like mummies--perhaps hanging from a large spider web also made from gauze
  • Put a plastic cauldron on a pile of fire wood, stuff it with gauze, and then have a trail of tentacles extending out of it and across the lawn
  • Create a bunch of wooden or fiberglass shark fins, place them in lines and circles across my lawn, and then supplement with mannequin arms/legs as well as maybe a lifesaver, a broken oar or even a small boat. (This one might be my front-runner right now.)

Whatever I choose to do, I need to factor in several considerations such as:
  • The display needs to be multi-directional and would ideally carry from my front yard to my side yard--as both are visible from the street
  • We get significant gusts of wind blowing down both streets during the fall, so the display can't really include elements likely to catch the wind and tumble/topple
  • We still want to get trick-or-treaters, so the display can't make either the front or side of the house inaccessible to foot traffic; and, of course, I still need to be able to park my car

What do you think? Do you have any other Halloween hacks that I should consider? Post your suggestions in the comments section below. Meanwhile, I'll update as I start to narrow down options and/or as I begin to tinker with any promising ideas for this season.

* A close second would be a damaged blue police box surrounded by statues. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment