PARDON THE MESS: Beginning in June of 2019, I’ll be sharing some of the longer-form content below in parallel on Medium. For those venturing here from there or following links from other social media, I’m going to begin differentiating between the short takes and the deeper dives—including, in many cases, re-titling and repackaging some of the early stuff. That will hopefully make browsing easier. Enjoy!

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Bringing the Racks to the Stacks (Part 1): Paying It Forward by Donating Graphic Novels to the Local Library


When I decided to create a blog, one of the first things I promised myself was that I wouldn't indulge in too many posts about how much harder it was to access comics and other sci-fi and fantasy content years ago. Point in fact: I didn't have to walk 10 miles uphill (both ways, in the snow) to get my hands on a comic book as a kid. While I'll save the story of the first comic I ever bought for another post, there were comics racks at several local drug stores and convenience stores that I haunted throughout my adolescence.

Having said that, there's no denying that the pop culture landscape--and culture in general--has changed over the years. Several years ago, I was surprised when, walking my children through our local library, I found that it had an entire floor-to-ceiling shelving unit devoted to graphic novels and comics-related literature. I've always been a big user and defender of libraries, but this was a weird "crossing the streams" moment for me. I'd used the library a ton when I was a kid--usually to bury my nose in some Time-Life book series about folklore or the paranormal. However, I think I can remember there being only maybe 3 books about comics in the whole building back then--all of them scholarly tomes.

I'd collected comics, but I wouldn't call myself a comics collector. There wasn't a strategy to it. I simply read what I liked and kept those comics to revisit those stories. It wasn't an "on demand" world back then. If I missed an issue or a story arc, I missed it. So the idea of stacks and stacks of collected comics thrilled me as I ran my hand along the spines.

What I noticed though was that the offering was very much skewed towards the recent past. That's not to say that there aren't modern classics--as my kids have collected their own comics, I've been exposed to a lot of great story-lines and creators. But I was surprised to see little representation of the foundational stories that paved the way for present-day franchises like the MCU, DC Arrowverse, etc. And that fact birthed the kernel of an idea.

Because we do now live in an on-demand world where compilations of many great old comics stories can be had--sometimes at a considerable discount if you're patient. So I tucked that idea away and started to build a list of the books I'd grab for donation to my local library if I could get my hands on them at a reasonable price.

The list continues to evolve, but here is the latest version along with notes related to some of the books I've already snagged/donated:
  • Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (DONE)
  • The Death of Captain Marvel
  • Justice League: Kingdom Come
  • Justice League: The Nail
  • Squadron Supreme (the original 12-issue miniseries) (DONE)
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths
  • Flash: The Return of Barry Allen
  • Secret Wars (the original 12-issue miniseries) (DONE)
  • The Return of Superman (i.e. Reign of the Supermen) (DONE)
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past
  • X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga
  • Iron Man: Armor Wars
  • Walt Simonson's Thor Ragnarok story-line
  • Batman: The Long Halloween
  • Spider-Man: The Death of Jean DeWolff
  • Avengers: The Siege of Avengers Mansion 
  • Watchmen
  • Daredevil: Born Again

Some of these choices are sentimental, some are based on just their overall quality, some have awesome messages/insights worth sharing--and many combine all of the above. Please join me for Part 2 where I provide a spoiler-free review of several of these books along with the specifics of why I targeted them.

No comments:

Post a Comment